Grilled beef steaks with roast beetroot & walnuts
Prep time: 25 minutees
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 3 medium beetroot bulbs, ends trimmed
- 40g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 bunch rocket (you can substitute mixed leaves about 1 cup each serve)
- 2 x 100g lean beef steaks (rump, sirloin, etc.)
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (substitute with 1⁄2 tsp dried if fresh is unavailable)
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- Red wine vinegar to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Wrap each beetroot bulb in foil.Place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a skewer.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Just before cooking is finished, pop the walnuts into the oven to roast slightly, or leave raw if preferred.
- Wearing plastic gloves to avoid staining your hands, peel the beetroot.
- Cut into chunks and mix with orange, onion and walnuts.
- Add red wine vinegar to taste.
- Arrange on two plates with the rocket.
- Prepare barbecue, grill plate or griller.
- Spray the steaks with extra virgin olive oil spray.
- Season with cracked black pepper and thyme.
- Cook steaks to your liking.
- Serve with the roast beetroot and walnut salad.